Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Valentine's Day Wreath aka "The True Purpose of a 'Twilight' book"




So the other day I saw this fabulous wreath made by Fiskars designer, Lisa Storm. I have to say, when I saw it, I had to make it... like, right then. I frantically searched my bookshelves for a book I didn't mind destroying. But I couldn't find one I was willing to part with. And then it bit, errr... hit me... I had a copy of "Twilight," I purchased at the begging of a friend that said I MUST READ this book. Well, needless to say I was so fed up with Bella's frickin' sullen attitude by the end of the first chapter and her complaining how snowflakes look more like Q-tips instead of the snowflakes she sees in the movies... I gave up on it. (p.s. Get some Paxil, Bella.) So out came the paperback novel came and it was about to be destroyed. I think this just might be the most useful thing a "Twilight" novel has ever accomplished.




Also the original wreath was a little too "clean" for my liking... Heck, I've got kids. Things don't stay pretty and white for long around here. Well, of COURSE I had to break out the Tim Holtz products... I used the "Brackets" on the edge sizzix die for each book page. Also, I was able to run 40+ pages of book through my Vagabond at a time. Can we say, "Tim(e) Saver?" Yes, yes we can. It took me about 15 minutes to die-cut all of my edges instead of having to do each page at a time with a border punch. I inked the edges with Barn Door, Vintage Photo and Spun Sugar Distress inks. LOVE. I also made some mini-roses with the "tattered florals" die and glued those to the inner-portion of the wreath.



After I assembled the whole wreath and got it to where I was happy (p.s. as Lisa mentions in the original article, adding more pages is quite addictive, I had a very difficult time stopping myself!) I splooged a bit of Rock Candy distress stickles on my craft mat and painted it onto the inner-roses and some of the outer edges of the papers throughout the wreath. This just gave it a little bit of extra glimmer and vintage shimmer here and there. And, hey, doesn't "Edward" sparkle??? BaHahahahahahaaa!!!



Isn't it fun? I just had so much fun making this... other than when I ran out of low-temp hot glue sticks and kept burning my fingers. Whoops. And then I actually glued my finger down to the craft mat... super oops. All's well in love and crafts... Happy Love Day folks! I'll be back round soon!

7 comments:

Lori said...

Fabulous Sara! Love the colors you used, and those little roses are darling! And to be honest, I loved the Twilight books, however, I think people have a love hate relationship with them, either love them or hate them! lol! We all have to sacrifice once and a while for ART!

Nancy said...

Isn't it addicting, putting one of these together??? I did one a couple of weeks ago & truly did have to tell myself to stop! lol
Your wreath's beautiful!

Unknown said...

Not only is it fab, but I concur that it's a great use of a Twilight book! ;)

Never heard of the die cutter you mention. Who makes it?

Jessica Baca said...

Well Mrs. Sara Jane I do love your blog! You are so talented!

Erin Glee said...

I was hoping you would show us something you used your Vagabond on~this wreath is beautiful! And 40 pages at a time ~WOW! I need that machine...

Unknown said...

So pretty! LOL about Bella! I LOVE the Twilight series...yes Bella can be a tad bit annoying but she is not my favorite character anyway. ;)

Paru Mahtani said...

Love the wreath! Love your photography too!

Post a Comment