Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Rest in Peace


Andrew William Carns
February 19, 1982 - September 21, 2010




"Some overrated folks will state that earth is really swell,
But if you are particular, the sky's the place to dwell.
My life below was one of woe, but now I'm in the sky,
To spend my days and glady gaze at earth from up on high."

John R. Neill
"The Runaway in Oz"




This was a post I debated
hard over whether or not to actually write. But as it's been a few months now, and this last weekend was Drew's birthday, I think that I should. So, here goes...

Drew was my husband's brother. He was one of the groomsmen at our wedding. He was always sweet and kind; caring very much of other people. Drew would never miss a birthday or Christmas present for our girls. And oh, how he loved our girls. I'll never forget how excited he was to present Emma, our oldest, with her first pair of Nike's, complete with little red swooshes and hearts. Drew loved his shoes, or as he called them, "kicks." Drew also worked at "Ben Bridge Jewelers" and was the youngest associate they had ever hired at that location. My husband even tells me he always had the "hottest" girlfriends, too.

Unfortunately, Drew had a host of medical problems and a few bad hands dealt to him over the years. I won't go into detail, but in short, Drew ended his own life. It's extremely upsetting to realize that someone you love and care for, walked down that dark road to that pitting point of despair. I understand that he felt that as though he was a burden on his family and this was his only option. I can't imagine what my husband and his mother must go through emotionally, and all I can do is be here for them. If anything, I wish I could have been there for Drew when he needed it the most.

If you, or someone you know, suffer from severe depression or is contemplating suicide, please get help. It is never the only option. You can call 1-800-784-2433 or 1-800-273-TALK.

Thanks guys... we'll be back to regular programming shortly.



6 comments:

Shirley said...

Sara, I am so very sorry for your and your family's loss. It was good of you to post this and the numbers. Your in my prayers.

Lori said...

So sorry for your loss, Sara. Thanks for sharing this very personal information, and I hope that it may help others.

Martha said...

Thanks for posting this. I have experienced a loss similar to yours. It's terrible and sad. My thoughts are with you and your family.

sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sara said...

I am sorry for your families loss, Sara. It sounds like he was an amazing man.

Thank you for your message of hope at the end, however, because truly it is never the only option. As a girl who has suffered from depression since having kids I can tell you that there are times that it sure seems like it, though! As long as there continue to be people like you, who encourage others - even strangers - that there IS another way "out", the world will be blessed with having people to remind us to search for other ways.

Okay, I am not sure if that was even really understandable, but - hopefully it came through okay! ;) You're in my thoughts, even if I only just barely know you - grief and hope know not the boundaries of strangers!

sara said...

sorry. apparently I felt that what I had to say was SO IMPORTANT that I had to write it twice! ;) so I deleted one of the comments. I'll probably never figure out how to get this right the first time, so forgive me if I post twice again ahead of time. I'm a bit... well, blond? :D Even as a brunette!

xoxo

Post a Comment