Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Keith Haring inspired Art Journal Page

Hello crafters!  Things have been crazy around here!  I am finally moving into my new craft room and purging as I go.  I'll show you guys some photos soon!  Before the big move I had been working in my Dylusions art journal constantly!  The girls had their ballet recital and I did a lot of backstage volunteering which made for some great journal time!

I was playing with some distress paints and created a background using a glazing medium, closing the pages and brayering it together.  I opened the pages before they dried and got a fun bright, ink blot effect.  This isn't the same page as the final journal page, but one using the same technique.


The bright colors and fluid movement of the distress paints for some reason reminded me of Keith Haring paintings.  Keith Haring was a pop and graffiti artist and activist in the 1980's.  His easily identifiable works and paintings formed an art language of sorts to help raise awareness about AIDS, apartheid and nuclear threats.  




With that said, here's my Haring inspired page!


I initially stressed about making my little men, which I eventually started calling my, "Haringlings."  But then I decided to relax.  As Dyan Reaveley said at Ranger U, "Life is hard enough; your art shouldn't be."  I sketched them in pencil first then painted them in with gesso.  Each one kind of developed its own little personality: 

 Stayin' Alive Haringling

 Walk like an Egyption Haringling.

 Snoopy Dance Haringling.

YMCA Haringling

    Hip Hop Haringling

Well, that's about it, crafters!  Let me know what you think in the comments!  Stop back by for some craft room updates and art journaling!

No comments:

Post a Comment